History of the Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs
The Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs was established by the Royal Decree No. (97/84) dated 16 December 1997, in which Article (4) of the decree stipulates the establishment of Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs.
Royal Decree No. (88/2020)
Pursuant to Royal decree No. (88/2020), the name of “Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs” was retained and the competences of the management and investment of funds of orphans and minors was added to the functions of Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs. The Royal Decree was issued in 28 Dhul-hijjah 1441 AH corresponding to 18 August 2020.
Royal Decree No. (85/1997)
The royal decree No. (85/1997) stipulated structuring the Council of Ministers and appointing Sheikh Abdullah Muhammad Abdullah Al-Salmi as Minister of Endowments and Religious Affairs. The royal decree was issued in Sha’ban 6,1418 AH corresponding 16 December 1997.
Royal Decree No. (34/2022)
In 16th of Dhu al-Qidah 1443 AH corresponding 16 June 2022, His Majesty Sultan Haitham Bin Tariq issued the Royal Decree No. (34/2022) restructuring the Council of Ministers and appointing HE Dr. Muhammed Said Khalfan Al-Mamari as Minister of Endowments & Religious Affairs.
Ministry of Endowments & Religious Affairs is concerned with overseeing and regulating all matters related to religious affairs in Oman. The ministry seeks to serve the community and convey the experience of Sultanate of Oman to the world by performing works in accordance to it competences which are represented in the following:
- Undertaking the affairs of endowments and setting strategies and projects to serve them and develop their sources.
- Preserving the properties of Bayt al-mal including proper management and well maintenance of them.
- Setting strategies for managing zakat (charity) and developing its sources.
- Establishing mosques and following its role in the community.
- Supervising religious advisory and guidance and preparing nationals to specialize in related fields.
- Developing Quran education.
- Carrying out religious studies and research.
- Supervising and controlling religious publications.
- Supporting and helping pilgrims in their performance of hajj.
- Exchange information and expertise with religious organizations in the field of endowments and religious affairs.
- Representing Sultanate of Oman in conferences, symposiums and meetings related to endowments and religious affairs.
- Managing and investing funds of orphans and minors.